Monday, August 30, 2010

August 2010

Alison had The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin on her to-read list and when Sue and Leslie attended BYU's Women's Conference in May and heard about the book, Leslie turned to Sue and said, "I'm going to choose that for book club next time it's my turn!" So she did. We had lunch at Les Madeleines in downtown Salt Lake City at 216 E 500 S and gave the book a solid 4 stars.

It generated a lively discussion as we each shared our responses to the idea of the book.

Alison says: This has been a truly life-changing book for me. I've been thinking about happiness for several years, and this book was a perfect way for me to now seriously consider what I can do to be more happy. As Gretchen Rubin says, "Each person's happiness project will be unique, but it's the rare person who can't benefit from starting one." I'll be working on my own happiness project for years to come!

Sue says: I found this fascinating. It is filled with totally awesome quotes and really great ideas as Gretchen spent a year working on different topics each month and keeping resolutions. This book is definitely a catalyst for change and is very easy to read. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to think purposefully about becoming even more happy. Her blog post.

Holly says: This is a magnificent book. This is one of those books that can change your life if you let it. If…you let it! It took me a long time to read this book, because I wanted it to change my life. The idea of being happier, who in their right mind would turn that down? The book breaks down the author’s project by month, although, you are encouraged to do what’s right for you. The author’s plan seemed logical to me, so I adopted it. I took on my happiness plan for the first month with gusto, the second month with interest, the third month with yearning, and the forth month, well, I didn’t take it on at all—I just read. I really want to have a Happiness Project of my own. I’m just so busy being happy; it’s hard to keep up the determination to be happier. For now, The Happiness Project has given me lots to think about, and I vow that someday, I WILL be happier. For now, I’m settling for just plain happy! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment